Saturday, April 21, 2012

The London Stone, 21st April

I have found myself on Cannon Street, where I know the London Stone to be, on many occasions and each time I tried to keep an eye out for the stone with nary a glimpse of it. I found the London Stone pub and had a good scout in its environs but could not see the stone. This is probably because until recently I wasn't really sure what I was looking for. I imagined some great boulder sitting on the street perhaps encased in glass for everyone to see. It is thanks to the LondonStuff blog that I finally knew what to look for, and found it today (huzzah) with ease.

As you may or may not know, this Stone goes back yonks, having been written about in the 10th century. It is said that if it ever leaves London, then London will fall, and popular legend has it that it could be the very stone from which Arthur pulled Excalibur. Nowadays it sits unassumingly behind a grill on Cannon Street, where, in the harsh light of day, it is quite hard to actually see the stone at all. An anticlimax for some who are seeking it perhaps, but I was well aware of what to expect and so still had some satisfaction from finally seeing it. And so - here it is:

The Stone

Inscription



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to add your views, or maybe suggest somewhere I should put on my list!

View my food journey on Zomato!